Monday, October 10, 2011

#26: Why Must I Cry (Tosh.0 rmx) - Reh Dogg

Mike sent me this along with a "Problem, officer?" so I'm treating it as a challenge.
At first, I listened to this song, and I thought "OSHIT MY HEAD IS FULL OF FUCK". But that was the first ten seconds or so and I, like a juvenile, switched it off because of the graphic and gratuitous use of Vocoder and very quiet lyrics. Then, after about a minute, I realised that this is the entire point of this beautiful, haunting, and all in all impressive song.

It's minimalistic in terms of music (despite the amazing juxtaposition of the rap with the sweeping strings) because the guy's obviously trying to place emphasis on his lyrics: a song about a guy who, quite obviously, is sick of crying over his losses and his life. He's also made the lyrics deliberately unintelligible, because clearly he's trying to show just how bad he's feeling by making it sound as if he's actually struggling with his life. You know, like a singer crying during a song, except Reh Dogg is taking it a step further and making it sound like he's doing more than cry (which is layer #1 of the song) - he's also struggling to understand why he's crying (layer #2), struggling to come to terms with this lack of understanding (layer #3) and crying out about the fact that he's struggling and crying and struggling (layer #4). Four layers of emotion, all wrapped up in one neat tiny little fun-sized package called Why Must I Cry. Hauntingly beautiful, and well deserving of a mention in the next Grammy or ARIA or whatever the hell music award this thing deserves, presentations. In fact, I'm gonna say that the line "why must I cry why must I cry why must I cry" is a Gem Line.

Also, here's one other special gift from me:

No comments:

Post a Comment