Wednesday, June 29, 2011

#2: Stella - Kashiwa Daisuke

Sean graciously sent me this 35-minute track:

Let's jump back to 2007 for a few minutes. Where were you when... actually, wait. 2007 was a pretty piss-poor year for world events. Hell, jump back to 2001 for me, just for kicks. Then return to 2007 and remember when electronic music was just starting to hit its peak (before artists like Afrojack and Angger Dimas came along) and listen to this thing. Slog through the first four or so minutes of dischord and you'll come across some pretty beautiful electronica.

Sean (an otaku) was probably looking up anime music when he found this, but hell if I don't appreciate it. I've always loved pieces with sweeping strings, mopping strings, or even just string in general (I have a soft spot for Latin and Spanish guitars); the next best example I can think of is the depressingly amazing (yes, that IS a compliment) Adagio For Strings (which has been ripped to shreds by so many trance artists in the last ten-fifteen years...). It gets a bit samey near the end but it at least evolves, which the Darwinian in me loves and everyone else around me hates, especially if they're drunk at 12:55am on a Friday morning - AKA bar night - and want nothing more than to hear this, week in, week out. I'm not giving a review of that song, because it would be one word: starts with "s" and ends with "t" and rhymes with "grit".

But I reckon Stella is brilliant, if you have the patience to slog through the 10% that will hurt most people's ears, the time to punch through over half an hour of sweeping strings, and the open-mindedness that a lot of my high school chumps didn't have. (Yes, I said "chumps".)

No comments:

Post a Comment