Thursday, June 30, 2011

#3: Up Up Up - Givers

Something a little bit different.

First, this is good proof that I'm not solely electronica and experimental (though this is somewhat experimental). So, ignoring for the moment that Tiffany is CUTE AS ANYTHING (because I'd like this review to be as unbiased as possible... as if that'll happen) this is probably the quirkiest song I've heard in the last few months. Aside from the fact that it combines elements of a miniature symphony orchestra (sans strings and brass and most of the woodwind section and... most of the symphony orchestra, actually, but it does sound somewhat symphonic) with an electric guitar, and the percussion isn't completely overbearing, and there's a complete absence of an electric guitar BRWANGGG sound that makes my ears bleed whenever I hear it, it's also a song that isn't trying to be pretentious. It's the kind of song that's quite content to sit tucked away in its little vein of obscurity, but of course it's done everything but since it came to SXSW.

I praise it for its instrumental break, reggae-style music (at times, particularly from the electric guitar) and radical change of tempo for the second half that emphasises the lyrics - a simple message: "You’re gonna find your way". I also praise it for being a song, and not a "my song is greater than yours because it's <insert lame and irrelevant song characteristic here>" song. It's not a song that would be in my personal collection (well... maybe) but hell if it didn't get stuck in my head all of yesterday for pretty much no reason whatsoever, and that makes it kinda... cool.

It's a good song. Below I've also included a live version of the song (mostly for showing just how diverse the instruments are, just how much fun one can have with a few rattles and tambourines, and just how cute Tiffany is).

The song works as a cool alarm, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment