Monday, July 4, 2011

#5: Summer In The Studio - Kinobe

Obi-Wan Kinobe?
This song got me through a reasonably traumatic experience in Yr 10 - six years ago. Yes, it's rap - DEAL WITH IT - but I needed that song at the time and I'm pretty sure I need a song to get me through Wednesday's wisdom teeth removal (on that note, no posts from me for at least a few days. Have another listen to Up Up Up if you want something to do. Either that, or get a life and visit the Wikipedias and the Googles instead). Probably won't be the same song.

It's rap. That's noticeable. In fact it's kinda freakin' obvious. It contains samples from an old song. That's noticeable too. Nicked the sounds from Summer In The City by The Lovin' Spoonful (a band name that proves sex sells - the band is named after the "spoonful" that a man can... every time he... anyway. Pearl Jam and 10cc are in the same vein). It does evoke images of summer - "blue skies", "kiddies with icecreams dripping off chins", "daddies scanning the skins", "sunsets". Didn't have to be "daddies" - coulda been "laddies" and it would have been accurate. Though I like the original I much prefer the version on the compilation I first heard it on - Chillout Sessions 3, where it fades out with the fade-in of We Are All Made Of Stars and a piano crescendo. Moving shit. Hey, uh, while I'm gone, can you do me a favour? I'm lazy and can't find stuff anyway, so I'd really like to know the lyrics to the song - specifically, the main lyrics. I'll lie here waiting until you do, so don't be strangers. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment