Wednesday, September 7, 2011

#16: Goodbye - Toe

A challenge from Sean.
Alright. It's not house. It's not electronic. It's not, strictly speaking, experimental. But I've accepted the challenge and alas, I must give it a fair and unbiased review. STOP LAUGHING.

I'm judging this song purely on this live version of it. To be honest, you'd think if these guys were an established-enough band, they wouldn't have a single problem with microphone feedback. I mean, hell, there's not much worse than hearing that all-too-familiar whine when you came to the show to get AWAY from whiny kinds, parents, significant others, or your pet robot. You'd also think that they'd amplify her singing more so you can actually hear it over the guitars. What the hell is she saying? I could only just piece together a few syllables and figure out that it wasn't English, and I took a stab at Japanese (based on the characters in the video's title). Oh, and also, I'm not going to comment on the lyrics - having little to no experience with Japanese short of counting to three, I can't fairly comment on this. I'm sure some otaku somewhere will tell me what it's all about. I'm guessing it's not about kittens and rainbows, given the distinct lack of fun-type music and "meow"s, among other things.

In any case, Sean's managed to pique my interest somewhat. Poorly-executed, and the singer isn't that great, but they've managed to make eight minutes feel like five, despite the first ten seconds sounding like tuning-up. Without the vocals it belongs in a chillout collection. With the vocals it probably still does, but slightly less so. I like the false ending at ~6'06" and the accompanying synthesised sound (I've only heard that sound, or something similar, once before) to piece together the song and its ending. Which, by the way, is distinctly evolved from the base song. Points for that.

I don't love it. I don't hate it. But I do like it. Now I'm going to watch a video about kittens and rainbows. Meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment