Wednesday, September 14, 2011

#17: Tanz der Moleküle - Mia.

Forgive my lack of German-speaking-ness, but I actually had to Google-translate this. When I realised the idea was stupid, I gave up and started looking further afield. But my German-speaking friends were all unavailable. Besides which, I just remembered this song for a very bizarre reason that I can't quite put my finger on. Regardless. Loosely translated, I believe the title "Tanz der Moleküle" comes into English as "Dance of the Molecule" and the song is about (correct me if I'm wrong) two atomic physicists in love. Now, you'll have to bear with me as I'd only ever heard the BeeLow remix - which isn't really that different - until today, and this was the first version I heard (live recordings are pretty damned good IMO). So I'm basing this on the only two versions I've heard.

If ever there were a quirkier EDM song, it could only be Fix Your Accent by Fake Blood (which I may be reviewing soon). It's quirky. Whatever instrument they use to get their effects works (possibly the keyboard, because I'm not talking about the xylophone effects) and works well. It really does sound like molecules dancing. Question is: exactly which molecules? Is it a metaphor? Actually, no, I'm going to leave that one alone, because I like this song and I don't want it (along with so many of my other favourite songs) somehow connected with sex. Simply because some songs are better off just as they are, and without any imagery to go with it. Good or bad. Either way, it's a pretty cool song. The only problem with this version of the song is that it starts with the drummer tapping his sticks together. I don't like that (though I accept that it's unavoidable in live recordings). Otherwise it really does put me in mind of one sunny winter day when I went to open days and I visited Chisholm not knowing that it'd be my home within a few short years and... I'll shut up because I understand that some of you out there are allergic to flashbacks. Either way, please enjoy the song because I do like it simply because of its bubbly quirkiness.

Now, can I get someone German to make any sense of the song itself? Comment below if you can. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment