Thursday, September 15, 2011

#18: Jona Vark - Gypsy & The Cat

Yes, I know I'm jumping on the Gypsy & The Cat bandwagon a few months late, and I know that this isn't exactly a new song. I also accept that this isn't EDM *shock horror*. But I've been hearing it on my iPod and the radio a bit lately so I'm reviewing it.
What is it? Dancy rock. I like dancy rock.

OK, but what is it really? Picture the following scenario: Empire Of The Sun meets MGMT meets some other artist who belongs firmly on the Kitsuné label - probably Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - and all three of them bugger off and have a weird musician threesome and produce Gypsy And The Cat.

OK, but what is it *really*? It's an epic song. I'm not talking "epic" as in "awesome" (though it is awesome). I'm talking "epic" as in Titanic or Star Wars. Big, heroic, and awe-inspiring. But less so on the heroic scale. I define epic music to be music with sound saturation - in other words, bucket loads of instruments, all playing at once; or bucketloads of people, all singing at once. No wonder I like choirs. Basically, epic music is the opposite of grungy house. But enough about that.

OK, but what is it really? It's a song about enlightenment. What kind of enlightenment? I don't know and that's completely irrelevant. It could be about Thomas Edison's big enlightenment (oh shut up you would have made the same bad joke too, if you were me, and I was you, and things were different). Except that it's not about Thomas Edison's enlightenment, it's about Jona's. Who's Jona? Obviously not the one with the whale. Some girl, whose name happens to sound like a young French leader. Or maybe that's what it's about? The real Joan Of Arc was guided by visions, who's to say that Jona isn't Joan in disguise? (Except that Joan was killed six hundred years ago.) It's also a damn fine piece of electronic rock. I was impressed by Time To Wander - in fact, that's the song I want playing in my car as I drive out of college for the last time1. And I love Jona Vark.

OK, but what is it REALLY? It's Gypsy & The Cat. That's all you need to know.

1. This is actually going to happen. I swore for months that I'd play the Lifelike remix of This Boy's In Love, by the Presets, as I left the town of my birth, as I was moving onward and upward to better things and better times. I played it and I was amazed at myself for picking such an epic song.

No comments:

Post a Comment