Monday, September 19, 2011

#20: The Phoenix Alive - Monarchy


I came in my pants when I heard this song. It's a couple years late but seriously, this shit is fucking amazing. Apart from having the name of a bird in the title (second only to owls) the song is quite possibly the best combination of bouncy electronica, soothing lyrics and no fucking grunge that I've heard in a long time. Not to mention the video. The science fiction element is brilliant and at the end of this incarnation, the code at the end is delightfully deceptively simple and beautifully relevant. And the song evolves! ♥ Even though it evolves right at the end and doesn't last long afterwards, it changes just enough to keep me interested. On the other end of the track, though, it starts out quite suddenly. Not a bad thing, because it instantly hooked me. And I loved it. It fits right in there with freshly-cut grass and petrichor that characterise summer for me. Actually, scratch the petrichor. But it's amazing and it's a summer song and... and... I think I want to marry this song.

Ahem. Fair review: it's house, it's bouncy. It's not party, and it's not grungy. It evolves, and it involves acoustic instruments. It's not too obvious but it's not too subtle. It's a very nice background track but would also find a good place in a set. Progressive house, basically. And its video is pretty cool too, it's not just the band dicking around lip-syncing to their shitty little songs that they try and make better by appearing on-screen and showing off their pretty-boy bodies just to sell said shitty little song. Ahem. Astronauts for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment