Tuesday, September 27, 2011

#21: CJ's Addictions 4

Man oh MAN there's a lot of songs to catch up on. I have addictions and a challenge, plus a feature. May as well start with the addictions.

I'm going to be honest: I have absolutely no idea why I like this song. None at all. It's a very bizarre song, which is probably why because I tend to like the bizarre stuff. The bizarre nature is rooted in the singer's distorted voice - whether this is deliberate or not is irrelevant - and the fact that it seems "harder" than it really is, especially given the subject of the song - Gabriel, who is apparently this guy who was an arsehole to the narrator. Well, that's my take on it, anyway. It does evolve, albeit fractionally. The full version does it better justice at 5'36" and the video is an interesting take (albeit boring). I also have to award a Gem Line to "he was stronger than I was but it's strength you can't sustain" - lines that mention strength (or, rather, lack thereof) always are good candidates for Gem Lines. Humble. I guess that's why I like this song. Bizarre nature, evolution, Gem Line. That'll do. Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts - I can't see this being big for long, despite its all-around awesomeness. Unlike this one:
If "having an argument with myself down Elizabeth Street" doesn't tip you off as to the location of the song, then you deserve to not know anything. Come on, now. Elizabeth Street? Victoria Street? Queensberry Street? Don't make me bash you over the head with a Melburnian sledgehammer. Which, oddly enough, is what the song is about. Streams of consciousness always rate high in my books, and I've got to say this is a pretty nifty one. Not sure what Jens Lekman is trying to say about his mind but I'd say the "fuck you! no, you fuck you!" bit was a bit of comic relief. I'd rate this along with Northcote [So Hung Over] as one of contemporary Melbourne's iconic songs. Bugger Man From Snowy River, this is REAL Australiana. Wait, actually, don't bugger Man From Snowy River. I do actually like that. There was movement at the station...

Hm. I usually give you a three-fer. So here we go:
Just realised that I'm giving you these vids in 4:3 instead of 16:9. But that's irrelevant next to the awesome power of Cut Copy's video. The music has even more power: starting out soft, the song slowly reaches crescendo and is belted out by either the lead singer or a chorus behind him. Or both. Hell, I could say that about most Cut Copy songs, and I can also say that every single one of them is different. Yeah, that's right. They follow a pattern, but they're different. Fuck you, RnB music, you are not different. Anyway, Cut Copy have always been a good blast back to the 1980s and I reckon this song has some sounds amazingly similar to Vangelis. Not a bad thing. I like Vangelis. And I like this song. No idea what the lyrics' interpretation are but that's irrelevant. I'm also going now, but that's also irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment