Tuesday, November 8, 2011

#29: Children Of The Sky - Mike Batt

Please ignore the shitty quality here.

They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care,
They pursued it with forks and hope,
They threatened its life with a railway-share,
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

So begins Children Of The Sky, by acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt. The poetry is borrowed stolen liberated from Lewis Carroll's The Hunting Of The Snark, a famed nonsense poem that was turned into a musical1 in the mid-1980s by - you guessed it - acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt. A little history lesson: the musical originally included such names as Cliff Richard, Art Garfunkel, Deneice Williams, Captain Sensible, John Hurt, Billy Connolly and acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt. The album was twelve songs long, a huge part of my childhood, and I've suddenly come across Dancing Towards Disaster by acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt featuring the vocals of Deniece Williams. So I rediscovered Children Of The Sky, performed by acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt himself, and I thought I'd share it, and the fact that this is epic music, with you all. I say "epic" in this post to mean "heroic". Not that Children Of The Sky isn't awesome. I just mean "epic" a little differently here. In any case, I do have a soft spot for epic music. Movie music, if you will. I much prefer it with vocals, which is why I love Children Of The Sky. I also love it because of its disconnection with Snark, meaning it can work as a standalone song, as part of a concert, as part of a musical, or as just anything really. There are two other songs on the same album that don't have narration or mention the Snark at all - Dancing Towards Disaster and The Snooker Song - both of which are also pretty cool, just not epic. Okay, this one started off with narration, but hell, it bizarrely works. Also, it's not hard to Audacity out. My apologies to acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt for that, but again, it's purely in the interest of making the song completely standalone. Also, can someone PLEASE share a music video or MP3 of this song in better quality, without the thing skipping or fading out WAY too early? Quality notwithstanding, this is an amazing song, and full credit to acclaimed pop-rock artist Mike Batt for making it.

1Yes, it's a musical. Yes, I like it. There are actually a few musicals I will willingly sit down and watch. Short of older Disney movies, the ones that come to mind are The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Cats, Avenue Q, The Blues Brothers, and this. If I think of any others, I'll post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment